Don't have a TCI SuperCoder account yet? Become a Member >>

Regular Price: $24.95

Ask An Expert Starting at $24.95
Have a medical coding or compliance question? Don’t sacrifice your valuable time to endless research. Choose Ask an Expert to get clear answers from the TCI SuperCoder team. And here’s a tip for the budget-conscious: Select the 12-question pack to get the best rate per question!

Browse Past Questions By Specialty

+View all

Cholangiogram NOT done by Radiologist

Jennyfer Posted Mon 05th of October, 2009 19:41:43 PM

Just wondering if a cholangiogram (74300) can be billed by a General Surgeon? I had one doctor perform the laparoscopic cholecystectomy and then another one did the cholangiogram? So I was going to bill 47562 for one and the 74300 for the other? Is this correct? I'm new to this and not sure if 74300 can only be billed by a radiologist. Any help is appreciated!!! Thanks, Jen

Alan Answered Tue 01st of December, 2009 10:07:15 AM

When a surgeon performs the Cholangiogram procedure during the lap. chole. surgery, we cannot use 74300 as a code. You are correct to code 47562 for one service (lap. chole.). For the other surgeon, you can go with 47579. though this is an unlisted Px. In your question, it is not mentioned if the cholangiogram performed by another surgeon is a laparoscopic procedure or an open one. But as the main surgery is done by laparoscopy, here I assume that the cholangiogram is also performed laparoscopically. Unfortunately we do not have any specific CPT code for only "laparoscopic cholangiogram". Therefore I would suggest to code 47579 (Unlisted laparoscopy procedure, biliary tract). Chances of getting paid for this code is very less, if the carrier is Medicare as they usually deny any unlisted procedure. Some private carriers can pay, but to be sure, it is always recommended to submit the claim along with supporting medical documentation.

Related Topics