Caralee Posted Tue 06th of November, 2012 17:42:31 PM
Surgeon performed a bilateral hemilaminotomyof C2-4 to decompress the dura at C2 the a foraminotomy from C3-C7. Would the cpt code 63045 with 63048 add'l segements?
SuperCoder Answered Wed 07th of November, 2012 10:54:27 AM
Please see the solution to your query below:
1. There are FIVE interspaces between C2-C7.
2. Code 63045 is for laminectomy not laminotomy. So please do not use this code.
3. Code 63048 (add-on code) is also for laminectomy not laminotomy. So please do not use this code.
4. 63020 x1: Laminotomy (hemilaminectomy), decompression, and foraminotomy are covered in this code. This code is for single interspace i.e. first interspace between C2-C3. For bilateral procedure, use modifier 50.
5. 63035 x4: Use this add-on code for each additional level. For bilateral procedure, use modifier 50.