Don't have a TCI SuperCoder account yet? Become a Member >>

Regular Price: $24.95

Ask An Expert Starting at $24.95
Have a medical coding or compliance question? Don’t sacrifice your valuable time to endless research. Choose Ask an Expert to get clear answers from the TCI SuperCoder team. And here’s a tip for the budget-conscious: Select the 12-question pack to get the best rate per question!

Browse Past Questions By Specialty

+View all

Can hospital charge for '88333'?

Deborah Posted Wed 12th of October, 2011 17:38:16 PM

We have a pathologist that has performed an intraoperative consult
along with touch prep on outpatient hospital patient and I need to
know if the hospital can bill 88333TC to insurance or do they charge
88104 for the technical component?

Thanks in advance,

SuperCoder Answered Thu 13th of October, 2011 04:05:48 AM

When your pathologist consults with a surgeon and performs touch preps to help provide diagnostic information during surgery, you should report intra-operative touch preps with 88333 and 88334.

Deborah Posted Thu 13th of October, 2011 15:02:58 PM

Sanjit, Thanks for your reply.
I understand what code I need to use for the pathologist but I need to know if
the hospital can charge the technical component by using 88333 or if it is a
different CPT they would use for the technical component such as 88104?

SuperCoder Answered Thu 13th of October, 2011 16:53:22 PM

Reimbursement for TC services provided in a hospital setting (both inpatient and outpatient) is generally made directly to the hospital under Medicare’s Prospective Payment System.
Guideline for Hospital Model: hospital owns laboratory and bills TC; pathologist bills PC

Related Topics