Don't have a TCI SuperCoder account yet? Become a Member >>

Regular Price: $24.95

Ask An Expert Starting at $24.95
Have a medical coding or compliance question? Don’t sacrifice your valuable time to endless research. Choose Ask an Expert to get clear answers from the TCI SuperCoder team. And here’s a tip for the budget-conscious: Select the 12-question pack to get the best rate per question!

Browse Past Questions By Specialty

+View all


Maiu Posted Fri 23rd of March, 2012 20:57:36 PM

Can burn codes 16000-16030 be billed with evaluation and management (E/M)code with modifier 25?

SuperCoder Answered Fri 23rd of March, 2012 21:22:58 PM

In most instances, it would be better to report a burn treatment code (e.g., 16000-16030). Unfortunately, many practices use problem-oriented E/M codes (99201-99205 for new patients, or 99211-99215 for established patients), not recognizing that burn codes often result in higher reimbursement. However,it might also be appropriate to report both an E/M service and the burn treatment.For necessary related medical services (eg, hospital visits, detention) in management of burned patients, see appropriate services in Evaluation and Management and Medicine sections.

Related Topics