Don't have a TCI SuperCoder account yet? Become a Member >>

Regular Price: $24.95

Ask An Expert Starting at $24.95
Have a medical coding or compliance question? Don’t sacrifice your valuable time to endless research. Choose Ask an Expert to get clear answers from the TCI SuperCoder team. And here’s a tip for the budget-conscious: Select the 12-question pack to get the best rate per question!

Browse Past Questions By Specialty

+View all

Buck's Traction

SuperCoder Posted Tue 28th of February, 2012 19:50:29 PM

Our physical therapist wants to bill for "buck's Traction". Is this a billable service and if yes what CPT code do you use?

SuperCoder Answered Tue 28th of February, 2012 19:58:04 PM

The closest code which matches is 20650.

SuperCoder Posted Tue 28th of February, 2012 20:12:00 PM

Can a Physical Therapist bill that code? There are no wires or pins involved in "Buck's Traction"

***one of the most common orthopedic mechanisms by which pull is exerted on the lower extremity with a system of ropes, weights, and pulleys. Buck's traction, which may be unilateral or bilateral, is used to immobilize, position, and align the lower extremity in the treatment of contractures and diseases of the hip and knee. The mechanism commonly consists of a metal bar extending from a frame at the foot of the patient's bed, supporting traction weights connected by a rope passing through a pulley to a cast or a splint around the affected body structure.

SuperCoder Posted Wed 29th of February, 2012 15:09:40 PM

I would like another opinion on the above code given to me. Is Buck's traction billable by a physical therapist? If yes what therapy code would apply? I am looking at 97140. Thanks!

SuperCoder Answered Wed 29th of February, 2012 16:45:56 PM

We can go in for code 97012- Application of a modality to 1 or more areas; traction, mechanical

Related Topics