Don't have a TCI SuperCoder account yet? Become a Member >>

Regular Price: $24.95

Ask An Expert Starting at $24.95
Have a medical coding or compliance question? Don’t sacrifice your valuable time to endless research. Choose Ask an Expert to get clear answers from the TCI SuperCoder team. And here’s a tip for the budget-conscious: Select the 12-question pack to get the best rate per question!

Browse Past Questions By Specialty

+View all

billing with two TIN

Aida Posted Thu 03rd of January, 2013 20:47:50 PM

Currently we have a neurologist that just started working for us on 01/03/2013. He will for us for hospital services only for 2 weeks for each month, which we will be doing the billing for. He will contiune with his private practice, which we will not be doing the billing and is under a different TIN.

My question is since he will only be working 2 week of each month and will contiune seeing our patient (if still in the hospital) the other 2 week of the month under his private practice.

Can he bill for the same patient under two different TIN during the same hospital stay?

SuperCoder Answered Tue 08th of January, 2013 21:35:44 PM

It would be a good idea to confirm this with your legal department. The TIN (Tax Identification Number) is the number (either the Social Security Number (SSN) or Employer Identification Number (EIN)) the individual or organization uses to report tax information to the IRS. Since this is a tax issue, the TIN on the claim needs to accurately reflect who will be responsible for taxes on the income generated. Areas to watch for include having strong documentation showing the medical necessity of the visits and showing that the use of different NPIs didn't result in additional reimbursement.

Related Topics