Clinical Documentation: Connecting the Dots | Join Webinar & Earn 1 AAPC® CEURegister Now >>

Regular Price: $24.95

Ask An Expert Starting at $24.95
Have a medical coding or compliance question? Don’t sacrifice your valuable time to endless research. Choose Ask an Expert to get clear answers from the TCI SuperCoder team. And here’s a tip for the budget-conscious: Select the 12-question pack to get the best rate per question!

Browse Past Questions By Specialty

+View all

Billing Provider for Technical Component

Gisele Posted Wed 12th of January, 2011 18:29:15 PM

We are a Medical Group who provides the technical component of the
radiology service, and contract with a radiology group to provide the
professional. For the billing provider for the TC component, does it have to be a radiologist? Are there supervision rules for the TC component and who you bill the service under?

SuperCoder Answered Wed 12th of January, 2011 22:35:54 PM

I presume you are referring to MRI no doesn't have to be a radiologist

SuperCoder Answered Thu 13th of January, 2011 19:14:40 PM


The technical component is to pay for the equipment. Therefore, this component is not subject to supervision or performance guidelines. Provided your group owns the equipment, you can bill the TC portion of the radiology code under the on duty physician. The radiologist would bill for his interpretation with modifier 26.

Jen Godreau, CPC, CPMA, CPEDC
Content Director, and Consulting & Revenue Cycle Solutions

Gisele Posted Thu 27th of January, 2011 23:35:06 PM

Thanks so much for the reply. When you say the 'on duty physician', who could this be?
We contract the radiologist for interpretation, and they may not be at the location at
the time the X-ray, MRI, or CT (for example) is performed. Does it have to be a radiologist?
Could it be another physician on duty in the Medical Group?


Related Topics