Ask an Expert

Answers to Compliance and Medical Coding Questions.
  1. Marilyn Posted 1 month(s) agoRelated Topics

    We are investigating the hiring of audiologic technician (independent contractor) to perform audiological testing (cpt 92557, 92550, etc). All equipment is owned by practice and reports by technician will be reviewed by physician with recommendations, if indicated. How are these services billed, should they be billed under Dr's name as servicing provider?

  2. SuperCoder Posted 1 month(s) ago


    The billing for audiology service will depend upon the NPI of the provider/audiologist. According to Medicare, audiology/oto-techs cannot bill Medicare for 92557 because there is no separate professional component (-26)/ technical component (TC) breakout where the technician would be able to bill for the TC. However, qualified professionals that have their own Medicare NPI, such as an Audiologist, may bill for this.

    Hope this helps!

About this Question

  • Posted by 3076 Marilyn, 1 month(s) ago. There are 2 posts. The latest reply is from SuperCoder.