Don't have a TCI SuperCoder account yet? Become a Member >>

Regular Price: $24.95

Ask An Expert Starting at $24.95
Have a medical coding or compliance question? Don’t sacrifice your valuable time to endless research. Choose Ask an Expert to get clear answers from the TCI SuperCoder team. And here’s a tip for the budget-conscious: Select the 12-question pack to get the best rate per question!

Browse Past Questions By Specialty

+View all

Bill for Conscious Sedation

Jennifer Posted Thu 28th of May, 2020 14:49:04 PM
I need to know if I can bill for conscious sedation. Right now my hospital GI department is billing for it and the physician gets no credit. That does not make sense to me. Can you help me understand who should be billing for this CPT code. Thanks, Jennifer
SuperCoder Answered Fri 29th of May, 2020 03:25:51 AM

Hi Jennifer,


Yes, you can bill for moderate sedation (conscious sedation) services. As per the coding guidelines, moderate sedation services can be billed by the same physician or other qualified health care professional who has provided the service. Bill this code along with the procedure code for which moderate sedation was performed.


Bill CPT code 99151 – For moderate sedation services provided to a patient younger than 5 Years of age. For patient age 5 years or older, bill CPT code 99152.


Bill 99153 for each additional 15 Minutes Intra service time.


Note: This code requires the presence of an independent trained observer to assist in the monitoring of the patients level of consciousness and physiological status.



Related Topics