Don't have a TCI SuperCoder account yet? Become a Member >>

Regular Price: $24.95

Ask An Expert Starting at $24.95
Have a medical coding or compliance question? Don’t sacrifice your valuable time to endless research. Choose Ask an Expert to get clear answers from the TCI SuperCoder team. And here’s a tip for the budget-conscious: Select the 12-question pack to get the best rate per question!

Browse Past Questions By Specialty

+View all

Behavioral Health Coding- Intakes

Erica Posted Mon 09th of February, 2015 11:52:10 AM

Can we bill for intakes if a student PA see the patient for 90% of the time and the Doctor see's for the other 10%? Looking at the codes 90791 or 90792.

SuperCoder Answered Wed 11th of February, 2015 14:52:38 PM

Thanks for your patience. There is very limited information available regarding a student PA in your particular scenario. For procedure code 90791, services can be rendered by MDs, Psychiatrists, Nurse Practitioners, Physician Assistants, Psychologists, Social Workers, licensed professional counselors, master’s level clinicians, or a bachelor’s level clinician if no medical services are provided.

For procedure code 90792, only Psychiatrists, Nurse Practitioners, and PAs can render services when medical services are provided. Only for professionals with authority to prescribe medicine can complete a 90792.

You may also want to review procedure codes 96150-96155 for your health and behaioral assessments and interventions. I’m finding that HBAI services must be provided by a Clinical Psychologist and the group sessions can be run by community health workers under the supervision of a clinical psychologist. The initial face to face for the intervention part of the service has to be conducted by a Clinical Psychologist as well as developing the individual plan. You should check with your state's scope of practice for Physician Assistants and students to determine your state guidelines on what services they are allowed to complete. Also payers have their own guidelines for behavioral health and psychiatry services. We will continue to research to see if we are able to find more information for you.

Related Topics