Don't have a TCI SuperCoder account yet? Become a Member >>

Regular Price: $24.95

Ask An Expert Starting at $24.95
Have a medical coding or compliance question? Don’t sacrifice your valuable time to endless research. Choose Ask an Expert to get clear answers from the TCI SuperCoder team. And here’s a tip for the budget-conscious: Select the 12-question pack to get the best rate per question!

Browse Past Questions By Specialty

+View all

ASC Billing for use of C-Arm

Melissa Posted Mon 17th of October, 2016 09:23:09 AM
I am new to ASC coding. The ASC owns the C-Arm. Should I bill for the Technical Component for the use of the C-arm?
SuperCoder Answered Tue 18th of October, 2016 01:05:18 AM

Generally, if one owns the C-arm at the ASC and is the "official" reader of the hard copy image, then a single global imaging code would be billable, and not the technical and professional components separately. However since the "C-arm" is a fluoroscopic unit, and not an x-ray unit, the medical necessity for fluoroscopy over portable standard radiographs determine the allowance. Hence, it is strongly recommended to check with your payer for their preferences in this case. Thank you.


Melissa Posted Tue 18th of October, 2016 10:00:07 AM
so does that mean that if the procedure code for the primary procedure states that Flouroscopy is included, then you would not bill for the use of C-arm, but if it is not included you would?
SuperCoder Answered Thu 20th of October, 2016 02:30:38 AM

Yes, C-arm and flouroscopy both refer to the fluoroscopic guidance used for the injection. Again, payer preference is important in such a case. Thank you.

Related Topics