Don't have a TCI SuperCoder account yet? Become a Member >>

Regular Price: $24.95

Ask An Expert Starting at $24.95
Have a medical coding or compliance question? Don’t sacrifice your valuable time to endless research. Choose Ask an Expert to get clear answers from the TCI SuperCoder team. And here’s a tip for the budget-conscious: Select the 12-question pack to get the best rate per question!

Browse Past Questions By Specialty

+View all

Arthroscopic Microfracture of the Glenoid

Kirsten Posted Mon 11th of January, 2016 12:33:29 PM

My Doc did an arthroscopic microfracture of the glenoid during a recent shoulder scope. Since there is no specific CPT microfracture code, we usually used a 29999 and compared it to 29879 in work and follow up. I know that you cannot use a debridement code in the shoulder when you have performed another procedure in the same shoulder. You also cannot code a debridement in a knee when a meniscectomy is done in the same knee, but you can use a microfracture code in the same knee. In light of this, what code can I use to get a microfracture of the glenoid paid with Medicare and other carriers since it is not a debridement?

SuperCoder Answered Tue 12th of January, 2016 09:15:56 AM

Thanks for the Query

Microfracture is a surgical technique used to repair damaged articular cartilage by making multiple small holes in the surface of the joint to stimulate a healing response. As per the arthroscopic procedure it includes microfacture like techniques. Hence, there is no need to bill separately for microfracture.

Related Topics