Don't have a TCI SuperCoder account yet? Become a Member >>

Regular Price: $24.95

Ask An Expert Starting at $24.95
Have a medical coding or compliance question? Don’t sacrifice your valuable time to endless research. Choose Ask an Expert to get clear answers from the TCI SuperCoder team. And here’s a tip for the budget-conscious: Select the 12-question pack to get the best rate per question!

Browse Past Questions By Specialty

+View all


Erin Posted Mon 13th of February, 2012 14:47:49 PM

Can cpt code 99283 be used by physicians not employed by the hospital?


SuperCoder Answered Mon 13th of February, 2012 15:20:06 PM

Any physician — (not only those assigned to the ED or employed by hospital)— can report 99281-99285.

Nothing in the ED service codes definitions limits you to reporting them for physicians assigned to the

As Per CMS Manual (Publication 100-4, Chapter 12, Section 30.6.11), Any physician seeing a patient in the ED may use ED visit codes for services matching the code description. It is not required that the physician be assigned to the emergency department to use ED visit codes.

Hope this can help

Pleasure to Assist:

Related Topics