Don't have a TCI SuperCoder account yet? Become a Member >>

Regular Price: $24.95

Ask An Expert Starting at $24.95
Have a medical coding or compliance question? Don’t sacrifice your valuable time to endless research. Choose Ask an Expert to get clear answers from the TCI SuperCoder team. And here’s a tip for the budget-conscious: Select the 12-question pack to get the best rate per question!

Browse Past Questions By Specialty

+View all

99232 bronchoscopy , EBUS, and TBNA

Robert Posted Mon 22nd of July, 2013 18:58:37 PM

Can you please tell me the exact sequence and modifier(if necessary) as to how I would bill for the ff:

99232 (25) visit
EBUS ?
TBNA ?

I did billed it previously and the reimbursement for EBUS from medicare was only $51.76 and my doctor told me that something is not right with the way I billed it. please help. (I used 31620 for the EBUS code)

SuperCoder Answered Tue 23rd of July, 2013 22:53:07 PM

Yes. If you refer to your CPT book, you'll see that the EBUS code 31620 (Endobronchial ultrasound [EBUS] duringbronchoscopic diagnostic or therapeutic intervention[s] [List separately in addition to code for primary procedure[s]]) can be used with all bronchoscopy codes from 31622-31646.

Example: If the pulmonologist used EBUS to perform transbronchial needle aspirations of lymph nodes located on the right and left sides of the trachea, and sampled lymph nodes in the right hilar areas, you should code 31629 (Bronchoscopy, rigid or flexible, with or without fluoroscopic guidance; with transbronchial needle aspiration biopsy[s], trachea, main stem and/or lobar bronchus[i]) once for the transbronchial needle aspirations of the lymph nodes from both tracheal sites, the add-on code 31633 (Bronchoscopy, rigid or flexible, with or without fluoroscopic guidance; with transbronchial needle aspiration biopsy[s], each additional lobe [List separately in addition to code for primary procedure]) for the trans-bronchial needle aspirations from the right hilum, and 31620 for the EBUS.

Important: EBUS is an add-on code which must always appear on the same invoice as its primary procedure code (31622- 31646). Do not list add-on codes alone on the claim form.

The sequence:

99232-25