Don't have a TCI SuperCoder account yet? Become a Member >>

Regular Price: $24.95

Ask An Expert Starting at $24.95
Have a medical coding or compliance question? Don’t sacrifice your valuable time to endless research. Choose Ask an Expert to get clear answers from the TCI SuperCoder team. And here’s a tip for the budget-conscious: Select the 12-question pack to get the best rate per question!

Browse Past Questions By Specialty

+View all

Janice Posted Wed 18th of July, 2012 10:32:39 AM

when a patient comes in post-op do i have to send 99024 to the insurance for the visit or can i not send it, but leave it in the system for informational purposes only
in other words im not getting paid for this visit do i have to send it to the insurance company anyway??

SuperCoder Answered Wed 18th of July, 2012 16:14:07 PM

I am explaning this with an example :

Tonsillectomy codes (42825, Tonsillectomy, primary or secondary; under age 12; and 42826, ... age 12 and over) contain 90 global days. Therefore, the surgical package includes the follow-up visit. Although you shouldn't charge for this visit, you should report it with 99024 (Postoperative follow-up visit, included in global service).

Janice Posted Thu 19th of July, 2012 23:15:32 PM

we dont charge for this visit 99024
i wanted to know if i have to send it to the insurance company by law
or can i just put it into my system without sending it electronically

SuperCoder Answered Fri 20th of July, 2012 19:52:48 PM

When you see patients during the postoperative global period, you should report or enter CPT code 99024. Entering this code in your practice management system reflects care provided during the postoperative period. Payors, particularly managed care or capitated plans, may require this documentation to substantiate charges or capitation payments.

Be sure to document all services and, because 99024 is a nonpayment CPT code, ensure that the charge is 0. If the payor does not require submission of 99024, set up the practice management system to allow the code to be posted, but turn off the feature to transfer it to the claim form.

Please check http://www.aaos.org/news/aaosnow/jul09/managing8.asp