Don't have a TCI SuperCoder account yet? Become a Member >>

Regular Price: $24.95

Ask An Expert Starting at $24.95

Have a medical coding or compliance question? Don’t sacrifice your valuable time to endless research. Choose Ask an Expert to get clear answers from the TCI SuperCoder team. And here’s a tip for the budget-conscious: Select the 12-question pack to get the best rate per question!

Browse Past Questions By Specialty

+View all

92960 Cardioversion 93010 EKG

Marlene Posted Tue 09th of June, 2015 12:14:48 PM

We do a pre and post EKG on every Elective Cardioversion. When I check the CCI edits it shows that the only way to bypass the edits is to assign the 59 modifier. I do not feel that is appropriate as we "Always" do a pre and Post EKG. It would be part of the Cardioversion. Please advise and provide any reference to support my thoughts on this issue to back up my concerns. Thank you!

SuperCoder Answered Wed 10th of June, 2015 03:44:07 AM

Checked the CCI edits and yes you can bill the EKG following the cardioversion; it is not on the mutually exclusive list. I would however, add modifier 59 to 93010.

Modifier is allowed in order to differentiate between the services provided. Also, the description of 92960 does not mention use of the EKG, nor is the EKG bundled with the cardioversion.