Don't have a TCI SuperCoder account yet? Become a Member >>

Regular Price: $24.95

Ask An Expert Starting at $24.95

Have a medical coding or compliance question? Don’t sacrifice your valuable time to endless research. Choose Ask an Expert to get clear answers from the TCI SuperCoder team. And here’s a tip for the budget-conscious: Select the 12-question pack to get the best rate per question!

Browse Past Questions By Specialty

+View all

75630 versus 75716

Janice Posted Fri 15th of February, 2019 12:59:02 PM
Can i bill these together??
SuperCoder Answered Mon 18th of February, 2019 03:18:19 AM

Hi Janice,

As per NCCI edit code 75716 bundles to code 75630. However, modifier is allow to support billing. The physician's catheter movement is critical to support separate billing for either of the extremity angiography code 75716. Even so catheter movement will not always support billing for a separate study because some "abdominal only" studies (such as abdominal aortic aneurism evaluation) may include more than one catheter position. The operative note should reflect catheter movement and abdominal and extremity study findings before you bill for the extremity study in addition to the abdominal study.

Use code 75630 only for imaging of the aorta and runoff vessels from one catheter position in the aorta.

In a nutshell catheter movement is critical to support 75716.

Also, see what your documentation support:

To report an abdominal aortogram use 75625. If the physician performs an abdominal aortogram and lower-extremity runoff you would report 75630 instead. But if the physician performs an abdominal aortogram and repositions the catheter to image a unilateral lower extremity you would report 75625 and 75710. If the physician performs both an abdominal aortogram and bilateral lower-extremity angiograms you would instead report 75625 and 75716.

If the physician performs additional imaging after a basic exam you can report 75774. When the physician needs to see something better and he moves the catheter to a more selective position and obtains further images he can use this code.

NOTE: In runoff study the physician visualizes the downstream vessels.

The difference between 75625 and 75630 is that 75630 includes a runoff study.

Feel free to ask for any further query.

Janice Posted Mon 18th of February, 2019 09:26:10 AM
I understand about 75625 That being said,I really wanted to know just the difference in 75716 and 75630 ,75630 has the abdominal study with it i know but, what kind of verbiage should i be looking for so i know the difference in 75716 and 75630 why would he do both???
SuperCoder Answered Tue 19th of February, 2019 03:38:41 AM

If your cardiologist accessed the abdominal aorta, the iliac arteries and the femoral arteries from the same catheter position, you should bill 75630 (Aortography, abdominal plus bilateral iliofemoral lower extremity, catheter, by serialography, radiological supervision and interpretation). 

Keep in mind however that any subsequent studies the physician performs from the same catheter position are not separately reportable (such as a complete runoff study). Indeed "there are no other 'runoff' codes other than 75630 ".

Tip: Provided the catheter is not moved, you should include all imaging studies, regardless of view, in 75710 or 75716, when applicable.

If the catheter position is changed, as mentioned in below links our coding combination changes. Please follow the below link for more clarity. Thank you.

https://www.supercoder.com/coding-newsletters/my-cardiology-coding-alert/reader-question-look-for-cath-repositioning-for-75625-143896-article 

https://www.supercoder.com/coding-newsletters/my-cardiology-coding-alert/focus-on-pv-demystify-aortogram-imaging-code-combos-54793-article