Don't have a TCI SuperCoder account yet? Become a Member >>

Regular Price: $24.95

Ask An Expert Starting at $24.95
Have a medical coding or compliance question? Don’t sacrifice your valuable time to endless research. Choose Ask an Expert to get clear answers from the TCI SuperCoder team. And here’s a tip for the budget-conscious: Select the 12-question pack to get the best rate per question!

Browse Past Questions By Specialty

+View all

69801 LABYRINTHOTOMY

Billing Posted Wed 16th of October, 2013 14:22:47 PM

CAN 69801 BE BILLED OUT 2 WEEKS LATER OF THE ORIGINAL PROCEDURE WITH A MODIFIER 58?

SuperCoder Answered Wed 16th of October, 2013 22:41:22 PM

CPT code 69801 includes all follow-up care during the 90-day global period including repeat injections in the same ear during the global period. Do not bill for the subsequent injections; rather report this activity internally using CPT 99024 to track the services during the global period.

This was before 2011.69801's global days shifted to zero from 90 days in 2011.

69801 had a global period of 90 days before 2011. This change on the number of global days means you can now report subsequent perfusions separately if performed on different dates. Don't forget to include the drug supply code when reporting subsequent perfusions. "This was important, because it was difficult to report the drug when a physician administered subsequent injections during the global period prior to this change"

"You can pull up the global days for 69801, and it will show it has zero,"

Billing the code one unit per visit (as indicated in the scenario) should not pose any problem as long as you document your claim properly.

"Patients who get gentamicin treatments have to remain in the office for at least 15-20 minutes after every injection to be monitored before they can leave. That is time and money to the practice, hence why this code has a relatively high RVU,"

I sincerely apologize for my previous post.

Billing Posted Thu 17th of October, 2013 11:22:40 AM

Thank you, that's what I thought, i just wanted something in writing prior to approaching provider

SuperCoder Answered Thu 17th of October, 2013 13:43:10 PM

You are always welcome!