Don't have a TCI SuperCoder account yet? Become a Member >>

Regular Price: $24.95

Ask An Expert Starting at $24.95
Have a medical coding or compliance question? Don’t sacrifice your valuable time to endless research. Choose Ask an Expert to get clear answers from the TCI SuperCoder team. And here’s a tip for the budget-conscious: Select the 12-question pack to get the best rate per question!

Browse Past Questions By Specialty

+View all

58550 vs 58570

Tammy Posted Thu 04th of February, 2016 17:04:41 PM

What is the difference between these two codes. I have a provider tell me they did a LAVH and sometime they tell me they did a TLH. I have been using the 58570 more for Robotic procedures

SuperCoder Answered Fri 05th of February, 2016 02:51:44 AM

LAVH: Laparoscopic Assisted Vaginal Hysterectomy- approach- Vaginal- Laparoscopic technique & instruments are used to remove uterus through vagina.
TLH: Total Laparoscopic Hysterectomy- approach- Supracervical hysterectomy
Code
58550: Laparoscopy, surgical, with vaginal hysterectomy, for uterus 250 g or less (LAVH)
Per procedure 58550 Uterine size of 250gms or less will be removed, fallopian tubes and/or ovaries will not be removed, cervix will be removed, and approach used- detachment of entire uterine cervix & body via the laparoscope and Vagina. Tissues will be removed through Vagina.
Code 58570: Laparoscopy, surgical, with total hysterectomy, for uterus 250 g or less (TLH)
Per procedure 58570 Uterine size of 250gms or less will be removed, fallopian tubes and/or ovaries will not be removed, cervix will be removed, and approach used- Detachment of entire uterine cervix and body via the laparoscope. Tissues will be removed through the abdomen or vagina.