Don't have a TCI SuperCoder account yet? Become a Member >>

Regular Price: $24.95

Ask An Expert Starting at $24.95
Have a medical coding or compliance question? Don’t sacrifice your valuable time to endless research. Choose Ask an Expert to get clear answers from the TCI SuperCoder team. And here’s a tip for the budget-conscious: Select the 12-question pack to get the best rate per question!

Browse Past Questions By Specialty

+View all

57520 vs 57522

Tammy Posted Wed 02nd of March, 2016 11:17:40 AM

Procedure notes:
Using the no. 11 blade with curved handle, a conical portion of the cervix was removed in a circumferential fashion starting at 0300. Specimen was excised with mayo scissors and tagged at 12 o'clock with 0 vicryl. The cone bed was cauterized with the ball tip cautery and monsels solution was placed.
provider wants to bill 57522 but I think it is 57520 Please let me know if the cauterized with ball tip is enough for the 57522? thanks!

SuperCoder Answered Thu 03rd of March, 2016 09:39:06 AM

Thanks for the Query

The CPT code 57522 seems more appropriate for the given scenario.

Tammy Posted Thu 03rd of March, 2016 14:27:25 PM

thanks but please let me know why that is...just want to make sure since the description states loop electrode excision. does this mean that cauterized with ball tip is what this means? thanks!!

SuperCoder Answered Fri 04th of March, 2016 10:09:12 AM

Thanks for the Query

Conization performed with a scalpel or cold-knife conization, laser, or electrosurgical loop. The purpose of conization of the cervix by the LEEP is to remove a cone-shaped piece of cervical tissue and electrosurgical loop is similar to ball tip which includes a loop like structure to perform the conization.