Clinical Documentation: Connecting the Dots | Join Webinar & Earn 1 AAPC® CEURegister Now >>

Regular Price: $24.95

Ask An Expert Starting at $24.95
Have a medical coding or compliance question? Don’t sacrifice your valuable time to endless research. Choose Ask an Expert to get clear answers from the TCI SuperCoder team. And here’s a tip for the budget-conscious: Select the 12-question pack to get the best rate per question!

Browse Past Questions By Specialty

+View all

562.10 vs. 562.11

Linda Posted Fri 05th of August, 2011 19:51:41 PM

I need to know for sure if it is improper to use 562.11 for a patient that has the following only: diverticula, scattered diverticulosis with no mention of diverticulitis or diverticular disease ? What are the differences between the 2 codes and when to use them.

SuperCoder Answered Fri 05th of August, 2011 22:12:57 PM

Use 562.10 for Diverticulosis of Colon if diverticulitis is not mentioned at all. If diverticulitis is mentioned, you need to use 562.11.

Concept with comparison given below:
======================================

Many people have small pouches in the lining of the colon, or large intestine, that bulge outward through weak spots. Each pouch is called a diverticulum. Multiple pouches are called diverticula. The condition of having diverticula is called diverticulosis.
Diverticula are most common in the lower portion of the large intestine, called the sigmoid colon. When the pouches become inflamed, the condition is called diverticulitis. People with diverticulosis get diverticulitis.

Most people with diverticulosis do not have any discomfort or symptoms. However, some people may experience crampy pain or discomfort in the lower abdomen, bloating, and constipation. Other conditions such as irritable bowel syndrome and stomach ulcers cause similar problems, so the symptoms do not always mean a person has diverticulosis.
The most common symptom of diverticulitis is abdominal pain. The most common sign on examination is tenderness in the lower left side of the abdomen. Usually, the pain is severe and comes on suddenly, but it can also be mild and become worse over several days. The intensity of the pain can fluctuate. A person may experience cramping, nausea, vomiting, fever, chills, or a change in bowel habits.
Diverticulitis can lead to bleeding; infections; small tears, called perforations; or blockages in the colon. These complications always require treatment to prevent them from progressing and causing serious illness.

Linda Posted Mon 08th of August, 2011 15:15:57 PM

thank you, do you work for the coding institute/ Supercoder ?

SuperCoder Answered Mon 08th of August, 2011 15:23:03 PM

Yes, I work for Supercoder.

Linda Posted Tue 16th of August, 2011 15:38:54 PM

Thank you for answering my question and explaining the diffences in the two conditions of 562.10 vs. 562.11. I have to ask one more question. If it only states in the report "diverticular disease" WITHOUT the diverticulitis, according to encoder it states to use 562.10 also. Is this true? or can I use the 562.11?

thank-you for all your help,
Linda

SuperCoder Answered Tue 16th of August, 2011 18:13:22 PM

If it documents Diverticular Disease Without Diverticulitis you should code 562.10
If it clarifies IN ANY PART OF THE DOCUMENTATION of report that there is diverticulitis, then Only you will code for Diverticulitis, 562.11

Linda Posted Tue 16th of August, 2011 19:17:35 PM

thanks again so much
linda