Don't have a TCI SuperCoder account yet? Become a Member >>

Regular Price: $24.95

Ask An Expert Starting at $24.95
Have a medical coding or compliance question? Don’t sacrifice your valuable time to endless research. Choose Ask an Expert to get clear answers from the TCI SuperCoder team. And here’s a tip for the budget-conscious: Select the 12-question pack to get the best rate per question!

Browse Past Questions By Specialty

+View all

Lindsay Posted Wed 06th of November, 2013 10:43:32 AM

I understand that when performing CPT 74455 (Voiding Cystogram) that we can also bill for CPT 51600 for contrast injection.
Am I correct in saying if 'contrast was instilled via gravity,' it would NOT be appropriate to bill CPT 51600?

If the documentation says 'contrast introduced in a retrograde fashion' it would be appropriate to bill CPT 51600? Thanks

SuperCoder Answered Wed 06th of November, 2013 14:00:14 PM

You can bill for CPT code '51600' when the physician injects a radiocontrast agent through a catheter inserted in the bladder to study the lower urinary tract. Physician must document this in the chart in order for it to be coded and billed.

Lindsay Posted Wed 06th of November, 2013 16:02:34 PM

would the below documentation be acceptable to bill for it? I didnt think so because of the gravity reference.

'The patient's bladder was catheterized using standard sterile technique. Water-soluble contrast was instilled via gravity.'

SuperCoder Answered Wed 06th of November, 2013 17:20:27 PM

Yes that documentation would be acceptable for billing. You might want to query the physician as to why he is using the word "gravity" vs. other descriptions. Eg, "injected a radiocontrast agent through a catheter inserted in the bladder to study the lower urinary tract."