Don't have a TCI SuperCoder account yet? Become a Member >>

Regular Price: $24.95

Ask An Expert Starting at $24.95

Have a medical coding or compliance question? Don’t sacrifice your valuable time to endless research. Choose Ask an Expert to get clear answers from the TCI SuperCoder team. And here’s a tip for the budget-conscious: Select the 12-question pack to get the best rate per question!

Browse Past Questions By Specialty

+View all

50940 inpat code

Laurie Posted Fri 28th of June, 2019 12:56:16 PM
Hi one of our doctors did the following procedure but the patient was out patient. and 50940 is an in patient only code. Is there a better code to use? for assistance in identification of the left ureter as there was concern for potential entrapment. DESCRIPTION OF PROCEDURE On June 5, , I was called intraoperatively into the OR with Dr. Blank. On my arrival, the patient is intubated on the operating room table with an open abdomen. After scrubbing into the procedure, I was able to visualize through the posterior peritoneum the peristalsis of the right ureter; however, the left ureter was not able to be immediately visualized. Therefore, the posterior peritoneum was opened with immediate identification of the ureter. I then performed ureterolysis tracing the ureter distally to visualize the ureter lateral and posterior to the area of the most lateral cuff suture. There was no apparent injury to the ureter at this location. At this point, I turned the procedure back over to Dr.blank for completion, the patient having tolerated my portion without complication.
SuperCoder Answered Mon 01st of July, 2019 08:51:58 AM

Hi Laurie,

If the ureterolysis was performed for surgical access, not a separate medically indicated procedure and as such would not be reimbursed separately. Code only the main procedure. In the above scenario it seems ureters were freed from adhesions to avoid from injury from the main procedure.

NOTE: Ureterolysis, the freeing of the ureter in the retroperitoneal space has been bundled into many urological and general surgical codes. The changes generally follow CPT coding guidelines. For example, the inclusion of ureterolysis, 50715, in most genitourinary procedures is in accordance with CPT guidelines that state lysing of adhesions, unless extensive, is included in the surgical approach. Feel free to ask for any further query.