Don't have a TCI SuperCoder account yet? Become a Member >>

Regular Price: $24.95

Ask An Expert Starting at $24.95
Have a medical coding or compliance question? Don’t sacrifice your valuable time to endless research. Choose Ask an Expert to get clear answers from the TCI SuperCoder team. And here’s a tip for the budget-conscious: Select the 12-question pack to get the best rate per question!

Browse Past Questions By Specialty

+View all

31231 and 31575

Vicky Posted Mon 16th of April, 2012 12:17:05 PM

Is there anytime it would be appropriate to bill 31231 and 31575 together? If so, what do I need to look for in the documentation? Physician insists that it is appropriate to bill both codes in certain circumstances.

SuperCoder Answered Mon 16th of April, 2012 13:46:20 PM

Yes, of course it is billable as per surgeon under certain circumstances means you have to focus the scope in the documentation. If surgeon uses nasal endoscope for viewing the internal structure of nose and then if the surgeon administers a topical anesthetic to the oral cavity, pharynx, and larynx and uses a nasal or oral approach to insert a flexible fiberoptic laryngoscope, then you could bill by appending modifier -59 with CPT 31231, but you have to careful that CPT 31231 has higher RVU than CPT 31575. So bill first laryngoscopy followed by nasal endoscopy by appending -59.

Vicky Posted Mon 16th of April, 2012 14:34:35 PM

Thank you very much. You have made it more clear for me as to what I need to look for in documentation.