How to Avoid Common E/M Coding Errors | Join Webinar & Earn 1 AAPC CEU Register Now Only a Few Days Left!

Regular Price: $24.95

Ask an Expert Starting at $24.95

Have a medical coding question? Get definitive answers from TCI SuperCoder's Ask an Expert.

Browse Past Questions By Specialty

+View all
Tara Posted 1 Year(s) ago
OUR PHYSICIAN DID A TRANSPOSITION FLAP WITH CARTILAGE GRAFT. THE GRAFT IS FROM THE EAR TO THE NOSE. THE FINAL REPAIR AREA WAS 6.5 x 5.0 CM. MY QUESTION IS CAN HE BILL BOTH 21235 FOR THE CARTILAGE GRAFT AND 14301 FOR THE TRANSPOSITION FLAP? THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME. TARA
SuperCoder Posted 1 Year(s) ago

Hello

In your scenario, only one CPT code should be billed, i.e. 21235, as the surgeon is only performing autogenous cartilage grafting. In autogenous cartilage grafting, the surgeon takes the cartilage graft from the patient's own ear and attaches it to the nose or ear to repair the deformity, injury, congenital defect, etc. But in CPT code 14301 (adjacent tissue transfer procedure), the surgeon takes the flap of skin just adjacent to the wound to be repaired. In this, the flap of skin remains connected to its origin and just transpositioned to the adjacent wound.

HOPE THIS HELPS!

SuperCoder Posted 1 Year(s) ago

Hello

In your scenario, only one CPT code should be billed, i.e. 21235, as the surgeon is only performing autogenous cartilage grafting. In autogenous cartilage grafting, the surgeon takes the cartilage graft from the patient's own ear and attaches it to the nose or ear to repair the deformity, injury, congenital defect, etc. But in CPT code 14301 (adjacent tissue transfer procedure), the surgeon takes the flap of skin just adjacent to the wound to be repaired. In this, the flap of skin remains connected to its origin and just transpositioned to the adjacent wound.

HOPE THIS HELPS!

Posted by Tara, 1 Year(s). There are 3 posts. The latest reply is from SuperCoder.