Don't have a TCI SuperCoder account yet? Become a Member >>

Regular Price: $24.95

Ask An Expert Starting at $24.95
Have a medical coding or compliance question? Don’t sacrifice your valuable time to endless research. Choose Ask an Expert to get clear answers from the TCI SuperCoder team. And here’s a tip for the budget-conscious: Select the 12-question pack to get the best rate per question!

Browse Past Questions By Specialty

+View all

17000 or 17003

Karin Posted Mon 06th of February, 2012 14:35:34 PM

Second request for an answer to my question - Thxs!

Below is the note my dermatologist is billing a 17000 or 17003 or both. The note also has a face which shows each lesion that is treated with the chemical solution. My question is can you bill the 17000/17003/17004 codes off of that documentation. It looks like a chemical peel to me but for the Actinic Damage he bills with those codes unlike the acne diagnosis is a chemical peel. Any help would be greatly appreciated..Thxs

Actinic Damage: solar elastosis and reticulated light tan macules in sun distribution distributed on the face and nose.

Plan: Chemical Peel Beta Salicylic Acid.
A chemical peel with 20% Beta Salicylic acid was performed on the face and nose for 15 minutes. Prior to the procedure, written consent was obtained and risks were reviewed, including but not limited to: redness, peeling, blistering, pigmentary change, scarring, infection, and pain.The treated area was degreased with prepeel cleanser, and vaseline was applied for protection of mucous membranes. The peel self-neutralized. After the procedure, the patient's face and nose was washed with soap and water, and a post-peel cream was applied. Sun protection and postcare instructions were reviewed with the patient.

SuperCoder Answered Mon 06th of February, 2012 16:54:27 PM

Both processes refine the skin’s appearance in a relatively short period of time. However, in chemical exfoliation, only superficial layers of the skin are removed whereas deeper layers of skin are removed in the chemical peeling process.
Chemical peels are acids that are applied on the skin, which facilitate a controlled shedding of the skin’s surface.
Some of the more common types of acids used in superficial peels include:
- Glycolic acid – used to refine aging skin and for brightening dark spots
- Lactic acid - used for sensitive skin
- Salicylic acid - used for acne prone skin.
So, 17360 Chemical exfoliation for acne (eg, acne paste, acid)-