Urology Coding Alert

Reader Question: IVP and KUB Coding

- Published on Tue, Feb 01, 2000
Question: What codes should we use for IVP (intravenous pyleogram) and KUB (kidney ureter bladder) for the physician and the ambulatory surgical center where the services will be rendered?

Anonymous Arizona Subscriber

Answer: Use code 74400 (urography [pyelography], intravenous, with or without KUB, with or without tomography) with a modifier -26 (professional component) for the physician and 74400 with modifier -TC (technical component) for the facility. Because code 74400 includes the pyleography, with or without the KUB you would bill the 74400 and you would not bill separately for the KUB.

Answers contributed by Thomas A. Kent, CMM, president of Kent Medical Management in Dunkirk, Md. and Susan Stradley, CPC, CCS-P, independent coding consultant based in North Augusta, S.C.

Get 14-Day Fully-Functional Free Trial of Physician Coder

Get access to all your specialty alerts and archived articles along with some comprehensive tools including:
  • Code Search for CPT®, HCPCS, ICD-9 and ICD-10
  • CCI Edits Checker
  • Part B Fees, MUEs
  • CPT-ICD-9 CrossRef
  • CPT® ↔ ICD-9 ↔ ICD-10 CM Crosswalk
  • LCD/NCD Lookup
  • CMS 1500 Claims Scrubber
  • NDC ↔ CPT/HCPCS CrossReference
First Name: *
Last Name: *
User Name: *
E-mail: *
Phone: *
Choose Speciality*
Please enter the characters shown in box*