Don't have a TCI SuperCoder account yet? Become a Member >>

Ob-Gyn Coding Alert

Reader Question:

Any Doctor Can Use ED Codes

Question: An emergency department (ED) physician asked our ob-gyn to see a patient who is pregnant. The ED doctor specifically requested that our doctor take responsibility for treatment of the patient, so I don't think this can count as a consult. I'm not sure, however, if I can report an ED visit for our ob-gyn, who is not an ED physician. How should I report the visit? New York Subscriber Answer: A common misconception is that only ED physicians can report ED services (99281-99285, Emergency department visit for the E/M of a patient...). In fact, any physician can report the ED codes if he provides a service in the ED. This does not mean, however, that an ED code is the only choice when a physician sees a patient in the ED. According to the Medicare Carriers Manual section 15507, primary-care physicians and specialists should report an ED visit for [...]

Other Articles in this issue of

Ob-Gyn Coding Alert

View All