Internal Medicine Coding Alert

READER QUESTIONS: Don't Fear the Unlisted J Code

- Published on Thu, Feb 08, 2007

Question: Which J code should I report when the physician performs an IV infusion of diltiazem HCl, also known as Cardizem or Tiazac?

New Hampshire Subscriber

You should report J3490 (Unclassified drugs), unless your payer instructs otherwise, because no permanent HCPCS code has been assigned to diltiazem HCl.

Depending on which insurer is processing your claim, you may also need to submit documentation with your claim to show which drug you administered, how much you administered, and for what condition you used it.


Internal Medicine Coding Alert
Issue - Feb, 2007
Already a subscriber? LOGIN to read the article.