Reader Questions: Remember E Code on Suicide Attempt
- Published on Mon, Mar 17, 2008
Question: I am having trouble deciding on diagnosis codes for the following encounter: ED physician treats patient who attempted to hang herself. The notes indicate the patient suffered a sprained neck and several abrasions to her larynx and trachea. What ICD-9 codes should I include for this claim?
West Virginia Subscriber
Answer: You-ll have to code separately for the attempt itself, the patient's mental state, and any injuries incurred during the suicide attempt. On the claim, include the following diagnosis codes:
- 300.9 (Unspecified nonpsychotic mental disorder) to represent the patient's suicidal tendencies
- E953.0 (Suicide and self-inflicted injury by hanging) to represent the suicide attempt method
- 847.0 (Sprains and strains of other and unspecified parts of back; neck) for the neck sprain
- 910.0 (Superficial injury of face, neck, and scalp except eye; abrasion or friction burn without mention of [...]
Want more code info & how to -
articles for Emergency Medicine Codes?
Sign-up for Emergency Medicine Coder's FREE Trial Today to:
- Simplify emergency medicine codes? code lookup across CPT®, ICD-9, ICD-10, & HCPCS codes